Sunday, August 3, 2008

A Contrarians's View of the P1D Business

There are more than a few people on the web who are aggressively pitching Platinum One Destinations (P1D) as a business opportunity. There’s nothing wrong with that, P1D can make an excellent business for a lot reasons. But I don’t go out of my way to actively publicize P1D strictly as a business opportunity right out of the gate.

Why? Because I believe that the best people to run a P1D business are people who have experienced the service and actually use the membership themselves.

As good as the service is, P1D isn’t for everyone. Platinum One Destinations is a high-end business opportunity that promotes a premier travel planning service, the Neiman Marcus and the Porsche of its class. Although it saves the discerning traveler a considerable amount of money, those savings are “purchased” upfront. P1D rates above (and consequently costs more than) its competition: Coastal Vacations, Global Resort Networks, YTB, Traverus, World Ventures or others.

What makes it better? I’ll deal with that in a upcoming post.

The point I’m trying to make now is that the P1D Travel Membership is not a mass consumer product. The netTrav personal booking portal which costs only $99 and is marketed by the company may be geared towards the mass market, but the P1D Travel Membership is not. The Travel Membership is an exclusive product for a particular, and yes, fairly affluent customer.

The company realizes this and has very recently introduced some new marketing that will better position the netTrav portal. They are taking a populist approach that may very well work even more wonders for their associates who haven't figured it all out for themselves yet.

My unsolicited advice to P1D Associates: By all means expand your market and mindshare with the netTrav product. But if you ignore those who could benefit from the Travel Membership, you could be making a huge financial mistake... and leaving a lot of money on the table for me!

But I digress.

Not everyone shops at Neiman Marcus or drives a Porsche, but those folks who do know why they do. And frankly, they aren’t overly concerned with those who don’t. It may be elitist and selfish, but it's true.

I don’t pitch the P1D Travel Membership to just anybody. It would be a tremendous waste of time and effort. Consequently, when it comes to the business side of the equation, I’m only interested in working with like-minded individuals who use the Platinum One Destinations travel membership themselves.

This gives me the advantage because in doing so I’m not competing directly with everyone else… and not just other P1D or other travel business owners. I offer a valuable, respected product, not another run-of-the-mill, “make-a-million-dollars” biz op.

Although I present the same products as other P1D associates, my marketing strategies are unique - as are my well-defined demographic group targets. I know my customer profile and who I’m approaching. That’s how I prefer to do business and it’s the superior way as far as I’m concerned.

If you’re interested, here’s how I do things on my personal, business directed site: www.myplatinumonedestinations.com Here’s how I approach my targeted customers: www.LuxuryTravelAtWholesale.com.

What do you think? Does it seems like a better way to run a business or not?

(BTW, there are also lots of other people aligned with different travel opportunities who are on the web and have axes to grind because P1D is understandably cutting into their business. These folks don’t have much that’s nice to say about P1D. Finding them online is easy. Listen to what they have to say and decide for yourself.)

I’ll be right here.

No comments: